The AVID college readiness program accepts students with academic potential. Students must apply for the elective class and be individually determined.
Students with Academic Potential include those with:
- Average to high test scores.
- 2.0-3.5 GPA.
- College potential with support.
- Desire and determination.
The typical AVID student meets one or more of the following criteria:
- First to attend college.
- Historically underserved in four-year colleges.
- Special circumstances.
Once enrolled in AVID for the year, all students are expected to:
- Maintain good attendance.
- Take notes in all core subject areas as required in AVID
- Keep a binder organized as required by AVID.
- Participate in tutorials.
- Complete homework assignments.
- Maintain enrollment in college-prep course/s.
Benefits of AVID to the Student
- Teaches study and organizational skills.
- Uses English as a writing tool for learning.
- Strengthens writing skills.
- Gives tutorial help through college tutors.
- Teaches students to work collaboratively to be successful in the most rigorous courses.
- Takes students to visit colleges and universities.
- Assists students with the application process for four year colleges and universities.
- Helps students explore careers through guest speakers.